Your home is a big investment. Keeping it operating efficiently makes it comfortable for you and your family and keeps energy costs low. Here are some simple tips to reduce your home’s energy consumption.
Air leaks can reduce home energy efficiency by up to 30% per year.
One of the quickest and least expensive fixes that can have an impact on your energy bill is to caulk, seal, and weather strip all seams, cracks and
openings to the outside, including those around:
- Where pipes or wires exit the roof or walls
The biggest home energy load comes from your home’s heating and cooling equipment.
If your furnace is over ten years old you should consider replacing it with a newer, energy-efficient model. In addition, you should:
Replace furnace filters every other month.
- Dust thermostats, heating coils and fan blades.
- Seal and insulate ducts.
- Close the fireplace damper when the fire is completely out.
Your home appliances can be energy hogs.
Consider replacing older appliances with new energy efficient ones to save money.
- The refrigerator uses more energy than your other appliances. Make sure coils are clean and are not up against a wall or heat source.
- TVs, DVD players and small appliances can use electricity even when they are not on. Plug them into a power strip that you can turn off when they are not in use.
- Use the ‘air dry’ function on your dishwasher and reduce your dishwasher’s energy use by up to 40%.
- Wash clothes in cold or warm water instead of hot to reduce your washer’s energy use by 75%.
Simple changes in water use can save money too.
- Insulate the first six feet of hot and cold water pipes connected to the water heater.
- Use faucet aerators and low-fl ow shower heads to reduce water use.
- Repair or replace leaky fixtures or toilets.
- If you suspect a water leak or have had an unusually high water bill, call the city or county water department.
Homewise can help you affordably finance energy efficient and water-saving home improvements, routine maintenance and repairs. Call us today at 505.983.9473.